Now: GUI vs Hand, Was: estimating the cost of building a web site

Subject: Now: GUI vs Hand, Was: estimating the cost of building a web site
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:21:11 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to throw out a statement and see what kind of
discussion can be generated. Please...it is going to elicit
strong reactions one way or the other, but let's try to keep it
on a professional level.

Statement:

"In light of the capabilities of some GUI web-authoring
programs, it is no longer fiscally responsible to code web pages
by hand anymore."

NOTE: I'm talk refering to those of us that use a GUI program to
create the complete page then go to code level to touch-up a
link or two. I'm refering to those who's main web application is
a text editor.

1) They may produce bloated code.
However, in light of higher speed access and cheaper storage,
does 1k or so matter anymore.

2) At $100 per hour or more for a developer, would a customer or
employer rather have 1 or 2 pages in an hour of sloppy code or 1
page in several hours (or days) of tight clean code? Would a
customer know what clean code was if it hit them between the
eyes?

3) More and more information has a short half-life, when after
that limit, the value of the information is reduced or lost. Is
it more important to save several minutes or several bytes.

>... I fixed my
> second page and it took
> all morning to fix the pics (5 of them), write copy and upload
> the info. I
> think, for what its worth, that the time to page ration would
> be incredibly
> variable.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://invites.yahoo.com/