Robert E. Horn speaks (long)

Subject: Robert E. Horn speaks (long)
From: M Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:44:34 -0700

Robert E. Horn, founder of Information Mapping, gave a talk at a dinner meeting of the Los Angeles chapter of the STC a couple nights ago, and I attended. I thought some of my fellow writers might be interested in what happened.

By the way, I don't know Horn, don't work for his company or have any financial ties to him or his works or Information Mapping(R), etc., although I did do an Info Mapping seminar several years ago and found it useful.

Horn founded Information Mapping and was its CEO for 20 years. He sold it in about 1986 and went on to do other things. I don't know what else he's been doing, but he was promoting this book he's written called "Visual Language" (published 1998). I bought it but haven't read it yet. From his presentation, the gist of it seems to be this: an international visual language has developed over the last number of years, and he's trying to delineate it and figure out how to better apply it. The core of the idea is to integrate text and visual elements to communicate complex things more effectively.

It's not just stuff like international road signs he's talking about. It's heavily integrating text and visual elements, to a greater extent than is usually done right now. His has done his book in this same way, and it looks like an educational cartoon book created with clip art (yes, the clip art makes it look a bit crappy; he has reasons for using clip art, given in the preface). Very few pages are just columns of text.

He contends that the world is much more visually-oriented today than it was in, say, the 1950s or 40s (and earlier). I thought he made a good case for this. He also made the standard case for information overload in our society, how there's just so very much that needs to be known. He thinks this visual language is helping people to get along better in the information explosion.

He spent about 4 years on a project with several graduate students where they applied this visual language idea to a fairly complex historical argument. The subject was "Can computers think?" as posed by Alan Turing in 1950. They visually displayed the original statement by Turing, and also displayed all the disputes over this statement by others, with quotes, pictures, charts and so on. They traced the whole argument and all of its sides and branched disputes up to present time, all done graphically. It ended up as 7 large graphical charts, each about 3 by 4 feet. He had several of these charts up on the wall. Quite a project. He sells a package that includes all 7 charts and a book or two for $99. He said its intended audience was probably philosophy students and others of similar geek nature. I thought of buying it.

He also wants to apply this method to socio-political-type things. For example, he's working with some British magazine to present in visual language all viewpoints in the current argument over genetically-modified food.

In person, Horn is quite personable and very well-spoken. I didn't see him spill any food on himself.

I don't know that this subject has much immediate impact on what we are now doing in tech writing, but at a minimum, it's a concerted effort to look into the future. I found it extremely interesting.

Language!

xXxXxXx M Giffin xXxXxXx