Re: Down the Rabbit Hole with an Invitation to the Mad Tea Party

Subject: Re: Down the Rabbit Hole with an Invitation to the Mad Tea Party
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:35:34 -0700

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

> Suddenly, I find the thread about telecommuting long distance
> extremely important to me.
>
> This is the situation: I've received a job offer halfway across
> the continent. I'm talking here about tickets to the big game.
> No, change that: not only tickets, but box seats complete with
> complementary smorgasbord, massage, and the 80 year old Napoleon
> brandy. It's a chance to work and hobnob with the stars of my
> chosen field, and, as you can probably tell, it's making me a
> little giddy. The company is willing to have me telecommute, but
> wants me to fly in (at its expense) a couple of days every month.

(*snip*)

Bruce --

First, let me say I haven't done any telecommuting.

That said, here's my one idea for you.

ISPs tend to go down at the most inappropriate times. I highly
recommend getting a backup -- perhaps one of the nationwide free ones
(no, not one that gives you lots of ads). I have my niece set up
on freewwweb.com.

When I was working tech support for one of the larger ISPs (not AOL),
I often got calls from people trying to get on eBay or whatever, and
being unable to do so because of a problem on our end. I'm telling
you what I would have told them if they were standing in the room with
me (and the quality control-folk weren't listening): Get yourself a
free backup ISP.

And, speaking of ISPs, do you think you could get your parent company
to spring for DSL or something? This would enable you to get your
files from home in to the company quickly (but keep that free ISP
thing going anyway -- just in case).

Good luck ....

--gdw