Document page size

Subject: Document page size
From: Sian Petersson <sian -dot- petersson -at- idasys -dot- se>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:41:54 +0200

> We're in discussion at the moment as to what size our documentation
> should be. Currently, all our documents are in A4 (21 X 29.7cm). There's
> been talk of moving to A5 (14.8 X 21cm), but I personally think that would
> be a bit small as our docs have a lot of graphics. I'd be more in favour
of a
> size like (19 X 21cm).

If you buy a software package in the shops, they never come with an A4
manual, do they? We had a thorough evaluation as when I started here, as the
existing manuals were just A4 pages put into ring binders. We thought that
they took up too much space on the desk while simultaneously working on the
computer.

We looked at the Framemaker manual and decided that was about right size. So
our user manuals are 17 x 21 cm. We can make them ourselves by printing in
landscape, chopping off the white space and then binding. I agree with you
that A5 is too narrow.

Documentation not used by the user at the computer, such as technical
specifications, is still in A4.

/Siân

--
Siân Petersson sian -at- idasys -dot- se
Dokumentatör Tel: 013 373727