You too can be a Tech Writer!; branch from: them engineers

Subject: You too can be a Tech Writer!; branch from: them engineers
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: "'Jessica N. Lange'" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:58:33 -0700

This web site is not all that bad; it *does* hype a few books by writers who
are, I assume, associated with the site in some way, but it does list many
books of general & specific interest to all TWs. Their bundled deals [buy 2
PDF e-books & get one hardcopy, & other variations on that theme] might even
appeal to some people.
See
http://www.techwritingmkt.com

and their list of books

http://www.techwritingmkt.com/books.htm

The blurb for How to Become Technical Writer includes this bit:
There are lots of books around for highly experienced technical writers. The
few books for the entry-level technical writer speak, almost mystically,
about the years of hard work, the necessity of in-depth study, the
importance of a degree. While none of those hurt one's career, and all will
definitely enhance it, there is absolutely NO reason not to develop those
skills while you work as a technical writer NOW!
Is this totally wrong-headed advice? maybe, maybe not. Beginners do have to
start somewhere, after all...
Whether the book in question -- How to Become a Technical Writer -- is any
good, that's for us critical readers to decide -- has anyone read it? Let us
know if it lives up to any of its hype, er, promise.