Re: Create PDF Files Without Adobe Acrobat ...

Subject: Re: Create PDF Files Without Adobe Acrobat ...
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 01:18:48 +0200

Kent,

this article is an overview over possibilities to create PDFs without using
Acrobat (Distiller). However, it is not quite complete, and it does not
look at the various libraries which allow PDF generation from/with your
application. I also have not seen any reference to GhostScript.

Also, one has to keep in mind that in some cases, the resulting PDFs can be
rather flakey, or of limited use. Many of these applications are also
creating older version PDFs.

This article looks to me as a nice starting point. But then, I would
recommend to look around on PlanetPDF (http://www.planetpdf.com) and its
associated sites "PDFStore" (http://www.pdfstore.com) and "Acrobuddies"
(http://www.acrobuddies.com), the message forum.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

. is the title of an article just out on the web at
http://www.webtools.com/story/graphics/TLS20000516S0001 I've little
expertise in this area and defer to others to comment on the worth of this
information.