Re: Menu or Function Driven Software User Manuals

Subject: Re: Menu or Function Driven Software User Manuals
From: "barbara hubert" <write_rhetoric -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: DTimmerman -at- ipdexch -dot- ipd -dot- anl -dot- gov, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:58:10 PDT

For the last eight years I have been documenting the operating procedures of
software user manuals.
Most of the software user manuals I've seen are usually organized... (so) that the software is the driving force for the way the procedures are
presented >
My question is what way do you document software for the user and why?

I document software by making my users the driving force of the manual. Who are they? What are their communication preferences? What will they need to do (and know) first? How will they use the product. I then go about organizing the manual to suit the user's needs. Much of this information can be obtained from your marketing department, or QA department.

It's been my experience that as soon as you start showing interest in your company's users, marketing usually gets so excited, they bend over backwards to help you.