Re: An Engineer has infected my young mind!

Subject: Re: An Engineer has infected my young mind!
From: sinico -at- nbnet -dot- nb -dot- ca (H.Durstling)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:01:10 -0300

Hi Folks,

This situation reminds me of a comment in an excellent book on
scriptwriting (Script Writing for Fim and Video I believe; author escapes
me).

The author, who was a scriptwriter at the time, working on a training film
for a large company, objected to the company's technical manager that the
script as it stood was difficult and might require several viewings to
understand. To which, as he puts it in the book, the technical manager shot
back, "So what if they have to go back and see it again. They're all
engineers, they're accustomed to _working_ their way through information,
and besides, their jobs depend upon it."

Information should be tailored to the user. If they're engineers, write for
engineers. If they're laymen, write for laymen. Or, from Namby Pamby, "Let
the verses to the subject fit: Little subject, little wit."

Cheers
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada
sinico -at- nbnet -dot- nb -dot- ca