RE: re Looking for the right font

Subject: RE: re Looking for the right font
From: "DeQuesada, Sandra J" <Sandra -dot- J -dot- DeQuesada -at- nspco -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:36:53 -0500

Georgia and Verdana were developed specifically for the screen. There is an
interview with Matthew Carter, the designer, at the following URL:

http://webreview.com/wr/pub/97/11/07/feature/screen/fontdesigners.html

An excerpt of the interview:

"In graphic design circles, people think of screen fonts as preview mode --
it's only when the toner hits the wood-pulp that we usually judge a
typeface.
But that's an increasingly short-sighted view of life. Larger numbers of
computer users spend their entire time in front of a screen and never (or
seldom) print anything. So it became obvious to us that this was a reversal
of priorities -- we should not approach this as doing printer fonts adapted
for the screen, we should design them as screen fonts from the outset. The
printer fonts are secondary in this case."
Sandy