Re: re Looking for the right font

Subject: Re: re Looking for the right font
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:01:21 -0500

In our previous episode, Mark L. Levinson wrote:

Georgia gives you readability on the screen
at the expense of elegance on the page, by
thickening what traditionally have been the
thin strokes of the letters. It gives
the printed page the look of overexposed
phototypesetting. Livable, but heavyhanded.

Hmm. I find Georgia interesting because (to my eye) it looks completely different on screen than it does when printed. I like both, actually, but I would never have recognized printed Georgia from on-screen Georgia.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll