RE: Screens and windows: what about wizards

Subject: RE: Screens and windows: what about wizards
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "'Scudder, Beth'" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:03:32 -0400

Beth,

I haven't been there or done that (document wizards) but why not call them
dialog boxes?

Why not check "Dialog Boxes and Property Sheets" in your MS Manual of Style
and see if that also comes close to describing your wizards.

If you don't like dialog boxes, I'd call them windows.

I also reserve "screen" for the hardware.

Jim Hager
Hhager -at- dc -dot- com

Hey all,

Perhaps someone out there can help me find some sort of standard for
documenting wizards. I've checked my usual sources (like the MS Manual of
Style...) to no avail.

On the "screen/window" issue, my group has chosen to go with "window", when
referring to the program element (reserving "screen" for reference to the
hardware).

The problem is, what do we do about wizards - are they composed of
"windows", "screens", or something else?

As the writer with whom I'm discussing this puts it,
'They're not technically windows, and there are no resizing and closing
controls on the title bar-the only way you can close them is through Cancel
and Finish buttons on the wizard. So that is why I've used "wizard screen"
over the years (ah, yes, years-like we're talking about scrolls or books
instead of online help) instead of "wizard window."'

What do you use, when documenting wizards? Do you have a rationale for it?
Suggestions?

Beth Scudder