Subject: RE: TW in Oregon

Subject: Subject: RE: TW in Oregon
From: "Nancy Osterhout" <blubird -at- gte -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 07:31:48 -0700

Johnny, you and your friend may be pleased to know that we
have quite a healthy chapter of STC in the Portland, OR
area. The Willamette Valley chapter (www.stcwvc.org) is now
600 technical communicators strong. We have great monthly
chapter and SIG meetings.

If your friend is here on June 29 and wants to get to know
folks right away, she may want to consider attending our
chapter's year-end get-together. This year we'll be dining,
dancing, and strolling at the Portland Zoo.

Meantime, to get an idea of the types and quantity of jobs
in this area, your friend can visit the Employment page of
our very own Willamette Valley Chapter of STC.

http://www.stcwvc.org/employment/jobs.shtml

At this site are:

* Instructions of how to subscribe to a moderated job list
that is sent to subscribers of WVCJOBS-L. This list is free
to STC chapter members and available for a nominal fee to
non-members.

* A list of local contract and job agencies in Portland and
Vancouver area.

* The results of a very recent salary survey of members.

Also, at every chapter meeting we can visit a Networking
Table run by a member who recently moved to Portland
himself. At this networking table we can get information
about the latest job openings, leave a copy of our resume,
and meet hiring managers.

As for recommendations for a good agency, I'd recommend Ace
Communications, run by Mark Ace. Mark is the current
president of our local STC chapter. For the last year and a
half, I've been working on a very good contract through Ace
Communications, which has its own list of jobs for both
contract and regular jobs in the area.

http://www.ace1.com/

Let me be among the first to welcome your friend to
Portland. Hope this helps.