Documenting APIs

Subject: Documenting APIs
From: Michael Koch <mkoch -at- ispheres -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:53:48 -0700

Hi there,

As the lonely techwriter, one of my tasks is to come with standards for
documenting APIs. I'm completely familiar with creating end-user (consumer)
manuals and the like; however, I was wondering if the nature of the subject
merits some other things to watch out for and include.

Since I have the chance to do things right from the beginning (rather than
to inherit some process or template), I was wondering if someone could point
me in the right direction: Is there some documentation (online or in print)
that is considered a "standard" or "classic" in terms of how to structure
such a document? What to include? Etc. I picture a document of this nature
can be as detailed as you want it to be. However, working under time (and
work-load) constraints what are the minimum requirements for such a
document. (Of crouse, I figure I can always ask for more time if the
end-result helps raise interest in the product on a larger scale.)

Thanks for your feedback.
Michael Koch
iSpheres Corporation

Michael Koch