Re: Customer Newsletter

Subject: Re: Customer Newsletter
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: scott -at- soffront -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

I just left a job where all I did was write
newsletters...

I found that "Customer Newsletter" is just another way
of saying, "make us look good to our clients."

I'm assuming here that when you say newletter, your
talking about an 8-12 page "magazine," not the 1-4
page format.

Newsletters have a completely different style of
writing than a technical documentation. Usually, there
is latitude for creativity, while maintaining the LCD
approach (shorter sentences, less passive voice,
shorter paragraphs). Oh, and use many graphics and
several colors (but don't go overboard: 2-4 colors are
enough).

Since this is a customer newsletter, you want to focus
on the industry. Go with company or executive
profiles, industry news, and, of course, things your
company is doing to save money, ensure security, et
cetera.

In other words, suck up. A lot.

Other things to be careful of:

-Spell names correctly.
-Make sure you've got the correct title. And it's the
complete one (easy to leave out something in
operations manager - western).
-Make sure you have the correct company name (Many
people, for example, don't realize that it's Delta Air
Lines - no endorsement intended).
-Stay positive.
-Adopt a style guide such as The Chicago Manual of
Style. Keep a list of "special cases" (places where
your company disagrees with the guide or for
situations not covered in the guide).

As far as the format goes: well, that depends on your
company and industry...

Are they progressive or conservative? Progressive
companies like bold colors, flashy graphics, unusual
layout, et cetera. Conservative companies will stay
with the tried and true styles.

I'd gather newsletters from your clients to see what
they're doing, and combine them with your own
company's productions to use that as a basis for your
newsletter.

Good luck!

--- scott -at- soffront -dot- com wrote:
> Hi,
> my boss wants me to create a quarterly customer
> newsletter.
> Can anyone help me with ideas or templates?
> I'm not sure where to begin, but suspect I might be
> writing the entire
> newsletter.
> Thanks!
> Scott