SUMMARY: Exact meaning of / (forward slash)

Subject: SUMMARY: Exact meaning of / (forward slash)
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:36:05 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Those who actually picked one meaning (a very small group) were unanimous:
OR.

However, the overwhelming response on this issue was that the / should be
avoided whenever possible. The reason for this basically came down to the
fact that its meaning is confusing. I was exhorted numerous times to either
leave it out of my documentation, or establish its meaning in a Conventions
section of my documentation.

Yes, I plan to avoid using the forward slash (or whatever you want to call
it) in my documentation. Of course, you didn't all know the context, which I
didn't think would be totally necessary for just getting a consensus on a
meaning... but of course, no issue (especially on this list!) is ever
simple. What fun would that be anyway?

I was asking for an exact meaning to aid in interpreting someone else's
writing - a person who is not easily accessible to query and make sure I've
got the meaning right. I think that using "or" will work.

Thanks to all,

--Beth