RE: Test for broken links

Subject: RE: Test for broken links
From: "Hightower, Mary" <mary -dot- hightower -at- corp -dot- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:59:25 -0400

Consideration for testing links on an e-commerce site: tools are great, but
as has been pointed out, they don't catch everything. My husband's company
is hiring for positions, in the QA dept, who will do not much more than go
through their entire site every morning looking for broken or moved links.
Their site is quite large, so they can certainly hire full time for this.

Kent is correct: check your links often---I would check them everyday. If
you don't, your customers will.

Thanks!

MEH
Atlanta, GA

From: Christensen, Kent [mailto:lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov]

re: Now the issue is, how does one check if these links are active(not
broken, lost, moved,etc.). This is presently being done manually. Is there
some way of automating the process or a software tool available?

. and ...

re: The problem is that sites can change overnight...and how to keep up
with drastic content changes?

Again, online is not the same thing as paper. (And, we all know our paper
documents can be obsolete when printed, don't we?)

The internet is truly 24/7 and while everyone knows that web sites that
prominently state "last modified (today)" can be programmed to say that when
it isn't necessarily true, the point is that's what people expect from the
internet. Yes, web pages are not something you "finish" and then hardly
ever look at again. They require constant maintenance. (Hence the low
unemployment rate?) Check your links really often. Manually or with a tool,
but really often. This is why you don't "ship" your help; rather you ship a
link and maintain the help at your site (or you do a LOT of shipping ... if
you have any competition ... or if you're competitive). And, your
"frequently asked questions" page isn't static either, right?

The nature of the job has changed; it's a new world; hello.

PS Another thread discusses reorganizing the tech writing department.
Reorganize for internet/intranet presentation. (There's that
slash/solidus/slant/virgule again.) Reorganize for continuous maintenance.
Hold the customer's hand. Every day. Be part of the marketing department.
Do task analysis.