RE: System Requirements

Subject: RE: System Requirements
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 08:59:00 -0500

<delurking>

But someone, somewhere, is going to get one of those powerhouse machines
when their 386 40 meg HD *finally* crashes. It might be a selling point
to be bleeding edge to make sure the software you're documenting will
handle the faster processor speeds. Also, for me, we have a QA
department. I test as I write to make sure things do what I say they do
in my help text [my very simplistic definition of testing], but there
comes a point where you have to be able to work efficiently. There are
some developers here that come in, turn on their PC, walk to the break
room, get a cup of coffee, glance at the paper and walk back only to
find their PC isn't done booting up. We all work mainly on the AS/400 so
the PC is just a gateway, but at the same time, I spend more time on PC
software (Paint Shop Pro, Word, RoboHELP). There's a balance to be
achieved.

<re-lurking>

Paul

<snip> the problem with having a super machine, is that it is
often NOT what our users have. it's great for development, but if
you're responsible for testing as well as writing, the monster machine
could be a problem.
<snip>