RE: No specifications

Subject: RE: No specifications
From: rebecca rachmany <rebecca -at- COMMERCEMIND -dot- com>
To: "'tudsbery -at- matranet -dot- com'" <tudsbery -at- matranet -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:53:55 +0200

>I'm writing a manual for a product with no specs. The
>developers don't write
>anything about what they're up to, and what they're planning
>for the future.

You mean this isn't the norm?

>Have other people encountered this problem? What have they
>done to resolve
>the situation?

In the short term your problem is going to be how to get the initial
documentation out. To do this, you will have to develop excellent working
relationships with everyone, since all information is word of mouth. When
you do get documentation, make sure to give printed manuals to all of those
who were helpful and involved. In the meanwhile, have lunch with developers,
and try small chocolate bribes. Make sure that whoever hired you knows how
much interface time you are going to need to make your deadlines/goals, and
make sure that person has the pull to get you that time.

>What can I do to persuade the developers to put
>their ideas
>to paper?

You can't. But you can ask to attend all development meetings. Be modest,
say you can take notes for them, and that you don't see such a task as being
beneath you. As the note-taker in these meetings, you will have tremendous
power, because the notes are going to be the only document committing people
to doing what they said in the meeting. Unless there is resistance, make
sure to use all your networking techniques to find out when R&D meetings are
taking place. You might bet left out simply because of oversight if such
meetings are made informally, and then you will miss your chance to document
things as they happen.

Rebecca Rachmany
Commercemind
PO Box 920, Kfar Saba 44109