Re: Misguided Love

Subject: Re: Misguided Love
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 08:35:36 +0100

> I was going to stay out of this one but what the heck...

Tools are, in many ways, toys for the boys (and girls!). Most of us would agree that
you wouldn't choose a tool that doesn't do the job, it's just that some are better
in certain situations. The tool used MAY increase productivity but then again it may
not (depends on the user - someone familiar with a 'crappy' package may be better
than someone unfamiliar with an all singing/dancing package) but it is by no means
the only thing that leads to good docs - the writer, writing skills, management
structure/support, relations with engineers etc. Lots of things have an effect. I
sometimes see tools in terms of cars on a busy road (what else is work but a very
busy road!) - you get people driving along in their little family cars going from A
to B. Then you get people in their super sports cars etc zooming along (always seem
to be in a hurry), passing other cars left right and centre and then, several miles
on you get to some traffic lights and there it is, only a couple of cars ahead of
you in your little mini -no real time saved in spite of the fancy car. I remember
once a story about an environmentalist who built himself a wooden car with a mini
engine - his view was it got him from A to B and, if he planned his journey well, it
got him there in plenty of time (and if he got a bump he just got his
plane/sandpaper out!).

I guess what I'm trying to say (perhaps a little dis-jointedly as it's early here!)
is that:

1 MOST writing tools WILL do the job

2 If you have a choice, pick the one you think is best for the job (and jobs to
come)

3 If 'best' tool isn't available, suggest it with reasons why - maybe you'll get
it, do the job; maybe you won't, do the best job available with what you have.
Either way (hopefully) the customer will be satisfied.

Over the years I've used Samna (long time ago!), WordPerfect, QuarkXpress,
Pagemaker, Word and now I'm learning Frame. All have their pluses and minuses, none
perfect all the time but I managed. I can still remember the first tool I used (not
that long ago!) - pencil and paper with the work going to typists to input, layout
etc. WYSIWYG, multiple undos (wonderful things erasers!), multi-page views (big
desk), copy (note to typist, repeat section marked A),....

Damien

--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author