RE: Misguided Love

Subject: RE: Misguided Love
From: "Philip Boyer" <pboyer -at- dimasys -dot- com>
To: <v2cdisrc -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 17:06:27 -0500

Samuel Choy writes:

"You see an job ad for a technical writer. As with all job ads, it has a
list of requirements. You happen meet all the requirements but one:

MUST have 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE with AdobeSoft WordMaker.

Would you apply for the position or not?"

I have applied for jobs under similar circumstances and have been offered
the job each time. I simply explain that it's easy to learn new software.
The hard part is writing good documentation. In one instance where I really
wanted the job, I offered to learn the required software (PageMaker, version
3 I think. Yes, it's been a few years.) on my own time and demonstrate my
proficiency at the next interview. I learned enough in one week's time to
get the job.

Philip