Re: Tools, Word/Weird

Subject: Re: Tools, Word/Weird
From: "Curtis Brautigam" <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L digest" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 08:24:16 -0400

As I have mentioned on a number of previous posts, comparing Word and
FrameMaker is like comparing apples and oranges. However, for the purpose of
creating technical documentation and long documents, FrameMaker is superior
to Word. Also, it seems that each new version of Word that is released is
becoming more and more buggy. In my previous job, we used Word for a long
time--we went from Word 6 to Word 7 to Word 97 (I can't make any judgments
about Word 2000 because I have not used it). Each version of Word became
more and more unmanageable, and we had our aggravations of file corruption.
It became more difficult to perform such essential tasks as generating
tables and using graphics. The last straw was when one of those Microsoft
macro viruses wiped out all of our MS files on the server, and the last
complete backup of the files on the server was three months old. Then was
when we discovered FrameMaker. Once we got beyond the learning curve, it was
so much better to use.

In my present job, I only use Word for short documents, such as memos or
short procedures that do not involve graphics. Otherwise, I use FrameMaker.
Of course, I do miss the multiple Undo function that Word has, but I gain so
much more.

Curtis R. Brautigam
Technical Writer
Nursery Supplies, Inc.