Re: Know the New Economy

Subject: Re: Know the New Economy
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 03:41:54 -0700 (MST)

At 10:33 PM 4/30/00 -0700, Andrew Plato wrote:

>--- Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com> wrote:

>> BS. There's no democracy in action here. If the knowledge workers had their
>> choice, they would vote against MS-Weird, and that vote would be decisive.
>> MS-Weird is the de facto standard in spite of, not because of, the people
>> who have to use it. Corporate management thinks the product used by
>> secretaries and other non-professional creators of documents is also
>> sufficient for professional writers who create long, complex documents.
>> Microsoft relies upon the ignorance of its corporate management customers to
>> maintain its MS-Weird's position as the de fecto standard.
>
>This is a subjective judgment of a product - not a market fact. The market has
>voted and Word (along with other technologies and designs) are it (for the
>moment). When we vote for a president we don't turn people away at the polls
>because they are stupid or in marketing. Democracy must embrace the enlightened
>and the unenlightened simultaneously.
Ahhhh! Now I see. You're one of those characters who, in any argument,
claims that his/her thoughts are "objective", and anyone who challenges them
is being subjective. The point I was making about Word is that its dominance
is almost entirely due to Microsoft's monopolistic practices. Monopolistic
practices are hardly new, are anti-democratic by definition, and their
effects upon markets have nothing to do with the degree of "enligtenment" of
consumers.
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> >Again, this is a powerful lesson for tech writers. Just because you have an
>> >exquisite internationally recognized development methodology, an extensive
>> >style guide, and a well-ordered tech pubs team does not mean you will write
>> >good documents.
>> How in god's name does this "lesson" relate to the issue at hand--namely
>> that MS-Weird has become the de facto standard despite the fact that it's a
>> piece of crap?
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>The lesson is that writers should realize that the new economy does not always
>embrace the "best" or the "most effective." A super-perfect document labored
>over for 100 years may FEEL like the correct, moral, professional thing to do -
>but it is not the BEST thing to do. FrameMaker may indeed be a better product -
>but that is irrelevant if the work isn't done. In today's market, results (any
>results) are more important than perfection.
So, your laughable "New Economy" rewards incompetence, disregards the
valuuation of tools based on their ability to improve productivity, and
somehow, despite these inimical traits, your sophomoric view is that it is
more results oriented than the "old" economy.

>Consider a more tangible example: "Jerry Springer". This is arguably one of the
>least sophisticated and least creative shows ever aired on television. But it
>is hugely successful where something like "Action", an infinitely more
>intelligent and complex show, is a rating disaster. You might not like this and
>may feel it is unfair - but the public has voted. Jerry's in, Action's out.
>Like it or lump it.
>
>This same principle applies to technology. What is popular and hence "the
>standard" is most likely not the best.
>
>Now as far as I am concerned, a REAL professional can still produce beauty from
>an inferior product. An UNprofessional whines about how his/her needs aren't
>being met.
>
>You either play the game and learn to win with the ball provided or sit on the
>sidelines whining and get ignored. Its your choice.
All errant nonsense. In the unlikely event that Jerry Springer puts on a
show devoted to the "New Economy" you'll definitely be on his short list of
participants.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.