Word easier to learn than Frame? was: Know the New Economy

Subject: Word easier to learn than Frame? was: Know the New Economy
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 12:08:25 +0200

Sorry, but I don't think so. I would venture that they're
both equally difficult to learn. As a Frame Weenie, moving
to Word is very difficult. The approach to nearly
everything is different, and figuring out how they express
the effect I *want* is a royal pain. Just like it is for
Word weenies learning Maker. What bothers me is the
assumption that Maker somehow has a steeper learning curve
than Word. That assumption is just plain wrong, IMO - and I
would bet dollars to donughts you could prove me correct
with un-biased trials.

The problem is, there are more people who need to switch
from Word to Maker, than the other way around. And the
Marketing weenies of *any* software company will tell you,
branbd loyalty is closely linked to learning curve. People
face developing expertise in a new product with a cross
between dread and terminal boredom.

I'm a certified Frame weenie, and I really should develop
equal prowess with Word. But my stomach turns at the
thought. Not because it's word, just because I hate to
invest years of my life in yet another software program.
You see, I really don't like software that much. It's a
tool - I would rather spend time with my family. So the
bottom line is, somebody would have to pay me to learn Word,
just as I was payed to learn Maker.

But please, can we all admit that Word and Maker have
equally steep learning curves?

cud