SWOT: XML article reviewers

Subject: SWOT: XML article reviewers
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2000 10:01 -0600

I apologize for sending this out to the entire list.

A few days ago I asked for volunteers to review an article about XML that I am
submitting to Intercom magazine. The reason I'm sending this to the list is
because I had 97 responses! I *have* to use ccMail here at work, and creating a
mailing list with it is more trouble than it's worth.

The article answers 10 questions concerning XML. They are:

1. What is XML?
2. Why should I Learn XML?
3. How can I write an XML document and display it in a browser?
4. How can I format XML documents for the web?
5. What are "Well-formed" and "Valid" XML documents?
6. What is XSL (this covers both transformations and formatting objects).
7. What are DTDs?
8. What are Schemas?
9. What is the Document Object Model (DOM)?
10. What's the difference between XML and XHTML?

However, Intercom asked that I "narrow my focus" and write an article about
questions 3 and 4. I was told that the other questions had been address in
previous issues of Intercom (I guess I missed them).

With that said I am going to re-write the article and explain how to write a
well-formed XML document, how to display it in a browser, and how to format it
using CSS and XSL (both transformations and formatting objects).

The good news is by narrowing my focus, I can be more detailed in my article.

So . . . this is what I plan to do: because there are so many people who
volunteered to review this article, instead of e-mailing it out to all 97
people, I'll write it in HTML, upload it someplace and then out the URL (I
assume attachments are a no-no on this list). I will also create a .pdf version
available for download.

In addition to this, I'll also upload the presentation paper (which answers all
10 questions in detail) when it's finished and send out the URL for that.

Once again, I apologize if this is considered somewhat of an "off-topic" post.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to review this for me!

-jp

Teknekron Infoswitch is now e-talk Corporation. Visit our website at www.e-talkcorp.com.