Re: Strategy when dealing with HR depts.

Subject: Re: Strategy when dealing with HR depts.
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: <Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com>, TechWhrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:19:06 -0700

on 4/26/00 7:32 AM, Perry_Moore -at- themoneystore -dot- com wrote:

> When I met with the HR person, his first comment was that
> my requested salary (65k) was too high, so I indicated that 60K would be fine.
> On the following Monday, I contacted him, and he indicated that he had to talk
> with the key person(who said very positive things about me)and would get back
> me. Now it is Wednesday, and nothing.
>
> Should I lower my salary request lower ( I can live with this since the job
> would cancel my current 2 hr commute)? Should I request that a decision be
> made
> by Friday( since another company as since inquired about my availability)?
>
> Do most major firms in telecommunications offer a job in written form by mail,
> instead of by telephone? It seems that if they were still interested, an
> offer
> would have come by now, offering what they would be willing to pay etc.

First, don't let their slowness bother you too much. Many companies take
some time when getting the job offer process in progress. I would definitely
not offer to lower your salary, unless they bring it up. It is perfectly
reasonable to call them and check in. Let them know that someone else is
inquiring about your availability, but let them know that they are your
first choice (if they are).

It took about three weeks for me to get the offer from my current job. My
husband went through months!!! (Albeit his is a different profession.)

It is ok for you to check with them on the progress, just not too often
(daily is too much).

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA, USA
www.sageinst.com

- Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them
all yourself.