Re: Translators--who?

Subject: Re: Translators--who?
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:08:13 -0400

> Do we, then, assume that every Russian has what
> it takes to write tech docs in the Russian language or, more to the point,
> translate written technical documents from Russian to some other language?

Short answer: No, not usually.

Translators have much clearer professional standards than tech writers.
In Canada, and probably most other countries, in order to be accepted as
a member of the translators' professional association (don't remember
precisely what it is called), one has to pass heavy-duty certification
tests, which you are usually not qualified to do without several years
of post-secondary education in language study, and then masters-level
work specifically in translation.

So, would I trust a non-certified translator with my translations? Only
if I thought they were well along the road to becoming a certified
translator, and/or I believed they understood the many problems of
translation (unlikely without education).

Note that this has nothing to do with editing in another language. Once
the translator has done her job, I would gladly entrust editing to a
highly literate, specifically-educated (in the field of editing--not
necessarily formally educated), native speaker of the language.

Of course, in cases where you can't find or afford the exalted
individual described above, I suppose you have to lower your standards,
but don't expect very consistent results. Translation is a highly
specialized skill. It is for that reason, incidentally, that I don't put
much faith in translation programs etc., unless they are being used as
an aid by a skilled translator (many of whom consider them more of a
hindrance than a help).

Enough from me on that...

Chris Kowalchuk