Translators--who?

Subject: Translators--who?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:04:07 -0400

Hallo:

There's an interesting topic: the qualifications of translators.

I have found that not everybody in the UK would qualify as a writer in their
native tongue. Similarly, not every English-speaking American could be a
technical writer in English. Do we, then, assume that every Russian has what
it takes to write tech docs in the Russian language or, more to the point,
translate written technical documents from Russian to some other language?
How about Russian engineers? If a Russian is an engineer, are they
automatically the right person for writing or translating Russian tech docs?
Should we expect that a translator have the skills of a writer in all the
languages with which they work?

I mean this as food for thought and not a flame.

Hey, good luck to your Russian friend, Dianne--and I understand this is not
a response to your post. This is a new thread.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com