Re: Writing Samples

Subject: Re: Writing Samples
From: Donkeyxote -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:21:57 EDT

I often find myself being asked for writing samples by companies that would themselves forbid me from showing others the work I'd do for them. I do have samples that exhibit my writing skills, but these are rarely directly relevant to the tech writing contracts I apply for (speeches for airplane manufacturing execs and articles for technical magazines, for example). So what I did to be able to oblige requests for documentation samples was create a procedure for changing a flat tire on a bicycle (I've heard of another writer who wrote a procedure about setting a table for a formal dinner party). This seems to work just fine and has helped me land several contracts.

I think you also score points with prospective clients/employers by gently noting to them that you will guard their nondisclosure rights as thoroughly as you do those of other clients. Who'd want to hire a writer, after all, who demonstrates a willingness to break a trust (and a contract) to further their own self interests?

Matt