How do you figure version numbers?

Subject: How do you figure version numbers?
From: scott -at- soffront -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:29:38

Hi,
I'm trying to create a numbering scheme for document revisions. Currently I
start at 1 and working my way up (2, 3, 4, etc.). I have had a suggestion
to make my revision number match the software version I am writing for,
however, I have had two revisions for one software version release (so that
doesn't work).
Any suggestions on how you or your company figures revision numbers?
Thanks!
Scott