Re: Query: Top Ten Things you wish you'd Known...

Subject: Re: Query: Top Ten Things you wish you'd Known...
From: scott -at- soffront -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:42:33

Hi,
I ask myself the same questions with every new project.
I would say, arm yourself with the following books:
* Microsoft Manual of Style
* Microsoft Word User's Guide
Those two books helps immensely for design and content.
After some initial writing, you can move on to a different design style
(once you find the flaw's with Microsoft's). However, don't try to reinvent
the wheel at the beginning.
Currently I'm in a situation where the only knowledge available is in
someone's head, and I have to pick at it until I have enough to make a
complete sentence on paper (even if it's a run-on).
Don't try to please everyone... just your boss. I get bombarded every day
for tonnes of information I can provide, but will take all day. The one who
signs my paycheque is my priority (don't take that to mean you should
forget about who you are writing for, your customers!)
Good luck!
Scott