Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?

Subject: Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?
From: ekandl -at- unitechsys -dot- com (Erick Kandl)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:40:31 -0500

<snip>

But what is "SM" in a circle?

***
A superscripted "SM" stands for "Service Mark". It's sort of like a
trademark (TM), but usually used to describe the name of a service a
company may provide. I think (and just guessing here) it came about as
a way to distinguish between a physical product (trademark) and an
intangible service (service mark). I've never seen one in a circle
though. The only circled one I'm aware of is for a registered
trademark (R).

Erick