Re: Word Document Confidentiality

Subject: Re: Word Document Confidentiality
From: "Tom Campbell" <klook -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Post" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:25:31 -0400

Emily Cotlier asked, "How can I save a Word document so that the Track Changes history cannot be turned on again?"

I agree with Guru Kamath that you should save the file under a new name and accept the changes. Then delete the comments one by one with tracking off. I would definitely NOT use Word's Version feature, which can bloat file size horribly.

Jean Weber wrote:
"The problem I've found (with Word 97) is that the comments don't always get deleted. After they get accepted they are part of the document; but for some reason, trying to delete a comment doesn't always work the way the help file says it should."

To delete comments in Word 97, you have to not track changes while editing (I don't know about Word 2000).

Of course, the problem could also be that both Jean and Emily are in the southern hemisphere, where things go counter-clockwise down the drain (and of course Microsoft's developers only tested in a clockwise environment).

---
Tom Campbell
"I try to leave out the parts that people skip."
--Elmore Leonard