Re: Thanks, Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?

Subject: Re: Thanks, Re: What does a superscripted "SM" Mean?
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:24:18 -0700

Dianne Blake wrote:

> Since most people replied directly to me I thought I would pass on the
> answer:
>
> Service Mark
>
> Many people said they weren't sure what it meant, but I think I'll give
> it a shot because of the usage in the sentence I'm working with.
>
> "Through its advanced, data-hosting CyberCenters SM and relationship
> with KPMG, Qwest is able to provide application hosting services."

> I think the symbol is being used to describe a service rather than a
> product. I don't know the legal implications though. What do you
> think?

You're mostly right. SM, with or without the circle, is used for Service Mark,
which is for "protected" services what Trade Mark is for "protected" goods. With
a Trade Mark, you are stating that there is something special, and therefore you
have protected this specialness, about Campbell's tomato soup or Coca Cola's cola
beverage, etc. With a Service mark, you're making the same statement, only about
a service.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems