Word Document Confidentiality

Subject: Word Document Confidentiality
From: Emily Cotlier <Emily_Cotlier -at- cardlink -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:06:58 +1200

Dear techwhrlers,

Where I work, we prepare documents in MS Word 2000. Recently, we sent a
document on CD-ROM to a client. (Conversation with boss; "Are you SURE you
don't want this as PDF?" Boss; "I'd rather send it in Word.") So, in
read-only format, with all the Track Changes functions turned off, off this
document went.

When our client got it, they opened it--and saw the change history, what it
had said before we customised it for them, queries to developers, et cetera.
Horrors, recriminations, etc. I tried to turn on the Track Changes again for
the original document, but this revealed nothing.

My question is: How can I save a Word document so that the Track Changes
history cannot be turned on again? And are there any other hints for
maintaining Word document confidentiality? I know, putting it in a PDF is
the best read-only option, but I work with many people who have a strong
preference for Word documents.

Please feel free to reply off-list.

Thanks,

Emily Cotlier