readme.txt or readme.doc?

Subject: readme.txt or readme.doc?
From: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:34:20 -0700

Hello,

One of the senior engineers here wants the README file for our NT
application to be in .doc rather that .txt format. I disagree because I
don't think an NT server used specifically for our application is likely to
have Word installed on it by default, as is the case with Notepad. Besides,
I have never heard of a README.doc file (not that I wouldn't be willing to
break with convention if the circumstances mandated I do so). Have any of
you ever written a README file in .doc format and in what contexts?

Thanks,
Robert

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and
then misapplying the wrong remedies.
--Groucho Marx