RE: Interesting Product Review

Subject: RE: Interesting Product Review
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <rstevens -at- hubdata -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:03:17 -0400

> What can we do, as Technical Writers, to encourage that our users read
> the manuals we create? Is it just a helpless situation? Or is it really
> a "nice test of the software" to "not have to Read The Manual"?

Absolutely the latter (IMO).

I'm not sure it's possible to design software so well that *everyone* who
looks at it understands how to use it intuitively, but I think that in
software, at least, that should be a (if not *the*) goal. That this guy
didn't have to look for instructions seems to me like high praise for the
interface designers.

$.02 from a grouchy writer on a Monday morning... take with salt. :-)

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Hub Data, Inc.
617-300-6041