Re: Importance of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Importance of Technical Writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:40:31 -0700

Sona Mehta <sona -dot- mehta -at- haysmt -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

>I thought of giving a presentation to the
> developers in my office, telling them about TW in general.

The various strategies mentioned in this thread all sound like a
lot of work. They may also be counter-productive. The very fact
that you make a special presentation can signal that what you're
trying to assert isn't so. For example, in one company I worked
for, the CEO had a meeting and a series of e-mails to tell the
office that the operations manager was in charge. Unfortunately,
the manager lacked the leadership skills or the knowledge of the
company's business to do her job, so the CEO's efforts only
reinforced her inadequacy.

Except for extreme cases like the one mentioned by another
poster, in the end the only way to get people to understand your
worth as a tech-writer is to do your job well and to get along
with the rest of the office. It's not a quick fix, and probably
sounds corny, but it's the only thing that works.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"Nevertheless, it moves" - Galileo on his deathbed