Re: Performance Appraisal Dilemma

Subject: Re: Performance Appraisal Dilemma
From: "Carma C Allen" <ccallen -at- beckman -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:23:37 -0700

Okay, I didn't want to respond to this thread---mainly because it's a sort
of sore spot with me, since we have to do essentially the same stupid exercise.
But this guy's manager (pointy-haired or not) may be getting a bum rap in all of
this. I think (based on personal experience) that this is what happened.

The "Company" hired a consulting firm to design a performance appraisal
system (called something like "Performance Success") to "enhance
communication between managers and employees" or something like that. The
"Company" spent thousands of dollars (or hundreds of thousands, depending
on the size of the "Company" and their infatuation with management fads)
to the consulting company to design the program, publish forms and
implementation booklets, conduct training programs, etc., etc., etc. The
top management are very proud that they have "responded to the needs of
the employees" and are sure that this program will increase productivity,
cure employee dissatisfaction, and make the world a better place for
mankind in general (that is, somehow add to stockholder profit).
First-line and middle managers are usually not to blame--they have to do
the same sort of exercise for their managers. Refusing to fill out the
appraisal "goals and accomplishments" is counterproductive, as raises,
bonuses, promotions, etc., are based on this masterpiece. The completed
document is the basis for a discussion between worker and manager, where a
numerical rating is "agreed upon" (but must conform to the division or
whatever bell curve). It's just another part of life in corporate America
today.

Sorry, that sounded sort of like a rant. Actually, it's more of a petty
annoyance. And they pay me pretty well for doing work that I like. So I
can sometimes compromise my standards and indulge their lust for
conformity.

Carma