Re: Help for PDF File Size Problem

Subject: Re: Help for PDF File Size Problem
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:22:03 +0530

Hello Vidya,

Take each of the PDF files and then combine them. Say, A, B, C and D are
files which totally add up to 7 MB. Take A. Then append (Insert pages
option) the pages of B to it. Then C and then D. As you say that all these
files do not add up to more than 2 MB -- the resulting file should be
approximately this size or LESS. Hope this works.

I tried this with a 28 KB Word 2000 file. Acrobat 4.0 PDF Writer created
this 3 page file into a 11 KB PDF file. (Hats off to Adobe! Cannot believe
my eyes!) To this PDF I added the same PDF file (meaning totally there were
6 pages now) -- the resulting PDF is 15 KB. (Again, unbelievable. One more
tip of the hat to Adobe!)

Basically, I feel one of your files is playing truant. Perhaps, it has too
many graphics. Please isolate this file and work on the problem. As a test
case -- why not combine COPIES of all the 4 files into a Word document
(despite the differing templates) in a test area. Then PDF this one with
various methods (PDF Writer, Distiller, etc). Is the resulting PDF still 7
MB? If it is still within reasonable limits then, you can see how best to
use this information to get your problem solved.

Are you using Word 2000? Please do a Save As with all these documents (get
rid of AutoSave, background save, autorecovery options) and try
again.Compression bugs were well known in earlier versions of Acrobat. In
4.0 I have not heard of them. However, you have tried out the various
compression options -- so even this may not be the real problem.

Please feel free to email me off the list for any further help or guidance.
You may also call me on 886 21 83 or on my mobile 98201-74148. (you can call
me from 7 a.m. to 11p.m.)

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)