Sticky Documentation

Subject: Sticky Documentation
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: "Techwriting list (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:38:48 -0700

Good afternoon,

We document a software product that is often installed and used by neophyte
users. As a result, we were planning on including a very straightforward
"Installation Quick Reference Card" in the box, that would guide the user
through the installation process via steps and a flowchart. We'd print them
on thick paper stock (no card stock, lamination or colour), and the intent
would be for the user to use them to install and then chuck them, or at
least put them back in the box. We have four products out of one box, plus a
couple pages for requirements, so we were picturing a three-fold,
double-sided card (hence, six panels).

Anyhow, somebody from QA came up with the brilliant idea to make these cards
like Post-It notes, so that the user can slap it on the edge of their
monitor or on the wall, and follow along. Our three-fold card therefore
becomes a six-sheet pad of Post-It notes (with each sheet in the pad
different). Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? Is it
costly? Any caveats or tips? Thanks.

Darren Barefoot
Meridian Project Systems
Manager of Documentation
604-904-0822 ext. 112
dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com
www.mps.com

I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had the
time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal