Swaggin' for Dollars

Subject: Swaggin' for Dollars
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:36:08 -0700 (PDT)

The wise Jason A. Czekalski wrote...

> Well said. I agree with entire post. The high-tech industry is the
> biggest bunch of BS artists on Earth. They have developed the SWAG
> (scientific wild-a__ed guess) Principle to a level never attained
> before.

Not only are you 100% right about this Jason, but this principle actually
extends out to virtually all professions (of varied degrees). One of the first,
painful lessons I learned (and I relearn every so often) when I started my
company is that there are no rules. All things, all documents, all technology,
and all laws exist in a fluid state of constant transition and bend-ability.
All you have to do is control the fluid to flow in your direction.

This is why it is so humorous to me when people get into a tizzy over others
not following the rules. As if there was some mandate from heaven that we all
must obey the same universal truths.

Innovators, people who really change the world, more often than not are merely
people who had the guts to NOT listen to what everybody else said. They did
things their way and asked for forgiveness later.

Rules are not only meant to be broken and challenged, they must be in order for
things to evolve.

> So lighten-up! Appreciate these times for what they are: the DAWN of the
> information age. A time of great experimentation and growth. And best of
> all, we are the folks who get to chronicle this insanity. Try to have
> some fun with it.

Damn right! This is the best time ever to be a tech writer, because there is so
much complex crap out there that morons need to understand. Moreover, as
communicators, we are in an excellent position to control this information.
This is why it is so important for tech writers to have technology skills. It
not only makes you a more skilled writer, it puts you in a position to control
what people know and learn.

So, live it up folks and quit whining about grammar. Sometimes it is more
important to get the job done, then to get it done right.

SWAG a little and make some $$. Its the American way!

Andrew Plato

http://im.yahoo.com