Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:54:38 -0500

> I've always been under the general impression that most people look for new jobs because they don't like something about their
current job.
<snip>
---- to be blunt, some people look for new jobs because they have been fired or received bad reviews.

> I think it's fair for a potential employer to ask for a reason why you left (or want to leave) your old position, but leave it at
that.
<snip>

---- Speaking from experience, knowing the "why" goes far in determining a person's fit for the job. It is a question I always ask,
even when we do interviewing for our clients. And you know what? Our clients ask us for this info when we report on candidates!
They want to know ahead of time if there are potential conflicts.

For example, if the interviewee is leaving a job because he is tired of working long hours, and the job you have for them requires
long hours, both sides can clarify and end the interview. Or, if the person is seeking a job because he wants to expand his
knowledge, and I need that quality for a position, we can talk further.

This question is one of several we use that can pinpoint an attitude problem as well. The other question that was posted -- about
good and bad management traits -- also brings attitude problems into the open. A bad attitude is something I want to know about
BEFORE we accidently hire such a person or refer them!

Kay