RE: Lamination: friend or foe?

Subject: RE: Lamination: friend or foe?
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'Mark L. Levinson'" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:45:05 -0400

Carolyn Davidson offered a suggestion of a business card holder on the
cover. That offers the ability to change "ownership" quickly, but lacks
something if the book in question is a controlled document. Another
approach might be to slap a plain label on the cover. You could stamp it or
write on it. Personally, I kind of like the idea of a laminated cover. It
would work very well for my user base. I'll have to look into that.

On Tuesday, April 04, 2000 10:20 AM, Mark L. Levinson
[SMTP:markl -at- gilian -dot- com] wrote:

> All else being equal, I've always felt that the cover of
> a manual should accommodate handwriting and rubberstamping,
> in case it's the policy of a company or the desire of an
> individual to display ownership. (How else do I know if
> that's my copy of the manual on your desk?) I stated my
> preference for a light color, and our graphic designer left
> at least some of the cover at least somewhat light, but then
> the damn thing got laminated. Mm, stays nice and clean.
> Clean shmeen, I say. What if someone wants to write his
> name on it? As a technical writer I believe that
> aesthetics should always accommodate themselves to usability,
> but this is where I turn to you folks: Does it happen much
> that people, or companies, like to be able to sign or stamp
> the cover of a manual?

> Mark L. Levinson - markl -at- gilian -dot- com - Herzlia, Israel

Tom Johnson
Marketing Coordinator/Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering Div., Star Cutter Company

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com - work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net - personal