RE: Sites like Guru.com

Subject: RE: Sites like Guru.com
From: "EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore" <Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:39:05 -0800

Tom Murrell has said:

> I, for one, appreciate this feedback about these web-based job sites. I
> suppose this is another example of the marketplace in action. "Let the
> buyer beware" would seem to be the obvious phrase to apply to those who
> think cheap is the same as good value.
>
> I can't help wondering what that will do to our ability to earn a living
> wage if companies looking for documentation on the cheap start going to
> these places in droves. I guess one thing we could do is charge high for
> fixing the bum work that will surely result.
<rest of message snipped>

My take on this discussion is that there are going to be, if there are not already, various niche markets in the tech writing world, just as there are in most lines of work. I have seen any threads on the idea of market niches as such. (Of course, as soon as I say that, I realize that I have not checked the archives (bad-bad!) but to turn back now twould be as tedious as to go-o'er.)

Why not look at ways that tech writers can differentiate themselves to the niche markets they serve? There might be niches geared to specific industries, healthcare for instance. Other niches might be more technically defined (database management?). And others might have some specialized function (translating). If this generates some discussion on how we can grow and specialize our profession, that would be an interesting line of thought to pursue.

It might lead to creative ideas for how to promote or identify more clearly what we do, how we do it, and with whom we do it.

Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
Technical Writer
Cotelligent
Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com

The opinions expressed here are mine, and mine alone.