Re: Average Length of TW Resume

Subject: Re: Average Length of TW Resume
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:41:42 -0500

At 11:38 AM 3/29/00 +0000, pbw3172 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

It seems that several listers are contractors or have years of experience
in the technical writing field. Because of my contracting history, I have
a long resume. It is almost a full three pages. I do not want to remove
anything on it because I feel that it contains pertinent information
regarding application/software, documentation, and creative knowledge.

Is a three page resume too long under today's standards for a technical
writer with about five years of experience?

Standard TECHWR-L answer: it depends.

I keep two versions of my resume up to date.

The short version is one page, and acts as the foot-in-the-door. I send this one to cold calls and to agencies who ask for a resume but don't have a specific contract in hand yet.

The long version is five pages. I only use this one when I'm asked for details on projects and clients.

And I've been freelancing as a tech writer for eight years, but I worked for a number of years as an engineer. Did a fair amount of writing then, too, so I obviously want to include that stuff too.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net