Re: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees

Subject: Re: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:20:20 PST

Tony Markatos says:

What should a Tech Comm program teach? Hackos/Redish write about how usability is based on gaining a clear understanding of end-user goals. But they do not quantify (at least to my knowledge) how importance such an understanding is - in order to put it into its proper persepective.

Hackos/Redish get many of their insites from Yourdon/DeMarco (of Structured Systems Analysis fame). In particular, End-user Goals (per Hackos/Redish) = Essential System Functions (per Yourdon/DeMarco).

When I went through the Yourdon courses on Structured Systems Analysis, the instructors emphasized that ninty-eight percent (98%) of the required work in any systems [documentation] project is gaining an understanding of the essential system functions and how all of those functions interrelate.

At work I have always found such to be true, whether I am developing software requirements specifications (I sometimes work as a Systems Analyst) or end-user documentation (I sometimes work as a TW).

So then, ninty-eight (98%) percent of the required work in any TW project is gaining a clear understanding of the end-users goals. This should be the key principle upon which all Tech Comm programs are based. Few, if any, are.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)