Learning vs Writing Notes

Subject: Learning vs Writing Notes
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: jims -at- spsi -dot- com, "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:14:32 -0800 (PST)

Does that mean that if tomorrow, they need to do the
exact same thing and they don't happen to have their
notes with them, it's OK to ask me the exact same
thing tommorrow? Repeatedly from my point of view is a
second time.

Sorry, but if they are in the mode ONLY to do it, but
don't want to be bothered to learn it, then I have no
sympathy and they can go read a book, or ask someone
else. I had to learn it, or they couldn't be asking
me. If I take the time to explain it, they can take
the time to learn it.

Also, one of the problems with not learning how
something works is that many things are done, that are
similar enough, that if you understand the reason
something is done, you can apply that to other
situations that aren't the same, but close.

"OK, since I know how to paste using Copy and Paste, I
can figure out on my own that the same process applies
to Cut and Paste."

This may not be the populist point of view, but that's
tough.

> >It always amazes me that the person will
> concentrate
..
> >at work? Doesn't anyone just learn things anymore?
> <snip>
>
> My $0.02:
> Who says these people are in the mode to learn
> anything? If I am asked a
> question like that I assume the person has a task to
> do and a deadline to
> meet (even if the deadline is just getting to go
> home at a reasonable hour).
> Monkey see, monkey do, (with notes on disposable
> scraps of paper) is the
> fastest way to get it done. They are not "asking to
> learn" they are "asking
> to do". (If the problem arises repeatedly, then the
> user will decide they
> need to learn.)

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com