Batch resizing GIF screen shots

Subject: Batch resizing GIF screen shots
From: "Derk Ederveen" <ederveen -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:47:49 GMT

We have a pile of 16 color GIF screen shots of various width (e.g. 800 or 1000 pixels). We're looking for a way to automatically convert them to, say, 430 pixels (maintaining aspect ratio).

I've found a way to do this manually in PaintShop Pro by increasing the number of colors, resampling, and decreasing the number of colors again, but the result is not perfect (although better than simply resizing). A better result is possible by loading the graphic into an application like PowerPoint, resizing it, and creating a screen shot of the resized screen shot. But this is even more time consuming.

Does anyone now of
- a way or a tool to perform this operation automatically
- a way or a tool to perform this operation more simply
- a way or a tool to obtain a better result

Please respond to me directly at ederveen -at- hotmail -dot- com, and I will summarize to the list.

Thanks for any hints,

Derk Ederveen
Documentation Engineer