my pdf graphics really bite! Thanks to all.

Subject: my pdf graphics really bite! Thanks to all.
From: Ron Rhodes <RRhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L Digest' (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:06:20 -0500

Thank you very much for all of your help my compression was the problem.
After some noodling, I've discovered the best solution for me is as
follows:

1. Download Acrobat 3.02 from www.adobe.com and install it.
2. Start Acrobat Distiller.
3. Click the Distiller menu. Then click Job Options.
4. Set the default resolution to 1200dpi (in the General tab)
5. Click the Compression tab.
6. Uncheck the top box (compress text and line art).
7. Find the Color Bitmap Images area and check the Download Sample box.
Set it to 100 dpi.
8. Select Manual Compression and set it to JPEG Medium-High
9. Find the Grayscale Bitmap Images area and check the Download Sample box.
Set it to 100 dpi.
10. Select Manual Compression and set it to JPEG Medium-High
11. Find the Monochrome Bitmap Images and set the Download Sample to 300dpi
12. Set the Download Compression to CCITT Group 4.

Last, if it's not too late, I've discovered non-interlaced GIFs look pretty
decent on screen and print fairly well too. I didn't have to change my
print driver. It's a good thing because I wouldn't know which one to use.

That's it. Some of these steps may be superfluous, but doing them made my
PDF look much better.

Thanks again to everyone on the list!! Hoping this message finds you well.

Ron D. Rhodes
lead technical writer
fourthchannel, inc.
rrhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com