Flesch Reading Ease scale

Subject: Flesch Reading Ease scale
From: Lorraine Kiewiet <Lorraine -dot- Kiewiet -at- answers -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L Recipients (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:44:12 -0800

Please help with an update on the meaning of this measurement.

For standard documents, I understand that we're supposed to aim at above 50%
reading ease and at about 8th grade level. With today's Internet terms,
newly-coined words, and so forth, how well does this measurement hold up?

Thanks for any insight, pointers to articles to read, etc. etc.

--Lorraine

Lorraine Kiewiet
Technical Communications Manager
Answers.com, Inc.
234 E. Colorado Blvd., Suite 450
Pasadena, CA 91101
Main number: 626.817.9889
Voice: 626.817.5656
eFax: 801.760.6131
Answers.com - Handle more questions. <http://www.answers.com/>

"There's not much to say about the period except that most writers don't
reach it soon enough." - William Zinsser